Thursday, July 16, 2009

Loving Work



I'm sorry I haven't kept in very good contact with people as individuals; life is crazy busy in a good way.
Work is pretty much amazing. Even when my tasks are complicated or a little frustrating, I am learning so much. I have plenty of work, and at the end of the day I feel like I've accomplished something good. I wish I could say more, but I'd have to run it by my supervisor :0)

Yesterday, I got to go to a Q&A with Secretary Robert Gates-THE Secretary of Defense. I sat about 12 feet from him, and was one of like 11 people who got to ask him a question. Here is what I asked:

"Previously, you spoke about trying to have more assets available for injured troops in Afghanistan after visiting with several Wounded Warriors. You spoke of the addition of more helicopters for medical evacuation with the goal of trying to help injured soldiers receive care as close to the golden hour as possible. Has the amount of time soldiers are waiting for treatment continued to decrease? Would you say we are making positive strides towards helping the wounded soldiers?"

I was honored to be able to attend the Q&A, let alone get to ask a question. Secretary Gates was very passionate about getting troops in Afghanistan the same standard of care as the troops in Iraq.

Tuesday in class I had a debate--the surprise stress for the night was when my debate partner didn't show! It was me on the more difficult pro side against two other very passionate students, eek. Oh well, at least its over, and I think my professor cut me some slack since my partner was a no show.

Besides that, life is pretty good. I got a sinus infection over the weekend, but I've been taking antibiotics and feel almost entirely better. The weather today was pretty hot, but besides today it's been staying in the low 80s and not too humid. I still can't get enough rain, wind, or green grass.

I also caught my first lightening bugs. I washed my old peanut butter jar and caught three of them in about two minutes!

People on the Metro were laughing at me and my lightening bugs, but in a good way

Part of me really wishes I could stay in D.C. for several more months...or more... but I am definitely looking forward to being back in my nice clean apartment with a bed that I fit in.

Thanks for reading

(p.s. If you couldn't find me in the picture, I'm three rows back, on the end, on the left side)

No comments: